Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Finished!

I finished my Baudelaires! I was home with ill H on Monday (chicken pox): second sock went from just above toe to just above heel. I was home yesterday ill myself (cold, and yes H is still ill): second sock done!

Pattern: Baudelaire from Knitty, design by Cookie.
Yarn: Fleece Artist merino in Tiger.
Needles: 2.5 mm Addi Turbo, magic loop
Mods: My gauge was larger so I got away with making the smallest size, 60 stitches, nice for my 9" foot :-) I did 5 pattern repeats before starting the gusset, and made the leg 8 repeats plus ribbing.
Verdict: Love! I love this yarn, great colours, no weird pooling or flashing, nice and soft. The lace pattern is pretty and easy peasy to learn by heart, and everything is well explained. And I love the little cable that grows out of the gusset!

The colour is slightly more accurate in this picture.

Now on to the agony of deciding what sock to do next...

I cast on for Conwy from Knitting on the Road. My one gripe with this book is the sizes. Or lack of sizes. Each pattern only comes in one size and most of them are quite narrow. Maybe Nancy Bush has small feet? Well, I don't.

Conwy uses 60 sts of thin Lorna's Laces for a finished size of 7". That's 2" less than my foot. No go. I have a pretty Lorna's Laces that I want to use for Conwy, so now I'm thinking of how to modify the pattern. The pattern is top-down and starts with 72 stitches for the ribbing and then gradually decreases down to 60 stitches for leg and foot. The pattern is divisable by 6. So either I go top down and ditch the decreases and modify the heel directions, or I start from the toe and do my own thing but using the stitch pattern. Hmm. I like toe-up because I don't have to worry about running out of yarn. Top-down I have a tendency to make the leg too short because I worry about the yarn amount, and then I get irritating amounts of leftovers.

Wait, did I just answer my own question...? I think so. Rip, rip. Round toe, here I come!

2 comments:

  1. Great socks! It's amazing how much knitting can be done while sick. I'm sick today, and am hoping to make some progress on Monkey. I have the same problem as you with making the leg to short for fear of running out of yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just wanted to pop in and say Hello! since we'll be competing in the same division in Sock Madness.

    The socks look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete